Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm Home

After 8 weeks in France, I am back in the United States.  I did not suffer the same remorse at leaving Paris that I did when leaving Sancerre.  While I enjoyed my time in Paris – museums and good food – there were no personal connections.  So unlike my departure from Sancerre, my anguish in leaving Paris all centered on arrangements.  Would my shuttle show up on time?  Would it come to my door or was I going to have to go to the corner?  Was I going to get priority boarding on Continental as a United customer?  Would my bags weigh too much?
I do have to say all of my concerns were needless.   My shuttle showed up three minutes before it was scheduled.  It came right to the door (even though  when arriving the taxi driver claimed he wasn’t allowed to drive down the street).  The shuttle driver was courteous and helpful.  Not only was I allowed priority check in for the Continental flight, but I was given access to the lounge.  Even better the card to get into the lounge, gave me access to priority customs line.  It was the easiest check in ever. 
Instead, they found a new way to frustrate me.  There were high North Atlantic winds so the plane could not hold enough fuel to go non-stop to Dulles.   We stopped at Gander in Newfoundland to re-fuel and thus were an hour and a half late in landing at Dulles.  Whether you are ready to come home or not, once you get on a plane you want to be home so I was disappointed by the delay. 
After getting through customs and in a cab headed to my house, I realized that my day was ending just as it started -- in a cab, stuck in traffic in the pouring rain.    Another situation tha reinforces my long held belief that Washington, DC is similar to Paris in many ways.  Okay having rain, traffic and taxis is not unique to DC and Paris.
So what was it like to get home after eight weeks?   Upon entering my house, I was happy to be home.  Then I realized that in my rush to leave, I had left things in a mess.  And I was really disappointed when I discovered that I had left without a single diet coke anywhere in the house.   It was good to realize that I could buy what I wanted.  I was near a supermarket and numerous restaurants with long hours and lots of choices.  On the other hand, I couldn’t walk to the butcher, the bakery or the market.   I really miss the baguettes.  The bottom line is that there is much about Sancerre and France that I loved and am sorry to give up.  On the other hand, there are many good things here that are good to have. 
In subsequent emails, I will provide some final assessments and tips for others considering lanugage schools or extended foreign trips.  And I do have a few more tales about some interesting things in France.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Home Kathy! I am so sad for you! Thanks so much for your blog, it kept me in France for a little while longer too! (do u have my e-mail? I dont have yours)

    ReplyDelete