Monday, August 29, 2011

Sancerre -- Tres Jolie

When I arrived at the train station in Cosne (pronounced "Cone"; my first lesson) and the professor meeting me refused to speak any English, I was sure this was going to be tough.  The other student seemed to have no trouble conversing with her and I thought I am in way over my head. 
My first glance at the Loire River and the surrounding countryside and I was glad I was here.  Sancerre is a charming little town with old buidlings and many beautiful flowers.  I'm posting a few pictures but these don't do it justice.  I will post some better ones later in the week. 
My Corner
Ny Apartment (Blue Door)

My apartment is in a very old buidling and is quite large.  My only complaint is the tv has no English channels -- oh wait, I'm supposed to learn French.  Amazingly what I understand the best is the French verison of So You Want to be a Millionaire?  I can read the questions and I understand the written much better than the oral.

Today, I had my first class for four hours.  Four hours all in French is tough.  I feel better now that I have books to study.  And I found out the woman conversing was Intermediate 2 and takes a French lesson once per week at home.   It really is tough for me to want to say things and have no idea how to.  Today we talked about vacations we had taken. I left a lot out!

Speaking of French, I need to go and do my assignments for tomorrow.  Plus I need to review the conjugation of French verbs.  Amazingly I remembered the main verbs -- avoir, etre and aller, but we are going to have a quiz tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am excited to follow your blog. I was a student there in January with Charlotte, for two weeks, and am quite jealous of your extended opportunity. Bon chance, et j'espère que vous attendrez bien le français.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite jealous too! Thanks for doing the blog, I'm really enjoying it. Don't stay in your apartment and conjugate verbs all evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je suis désolé. Apprendrez, not attendrez.

    ReplyDelete