Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sancerre--My Kind of Town?


I know many of you were concerned about how a big city girl like myself would adjust to the small town.  In fact, I wondered.  I can honestly say I am loving life in a small town.  I think I know more people here than near my house in Washington where I have lived for seven years.  
In addition to the friendly people everything is close.  I can decide at 6:45 pm that I want wine for the people coming over at 7:00 pm and go buy wine from one of many wine shops and be back at my apartment before my guests arrive.  I leave for school five minutes before my classes start and I am never late.   If I’m going to the far side of town it make take 10 minutes.  For someone used to DC traffic this is wonderful.
Sancerre is definitely a small town, population about 1700.  It is situated on a hill in wine country and this is apparent throughout the city.  In additon to being surrounded by vineyards, there are wine shops throughout the town.  Visitors, mostly from England and other parts of France seem to come almost every day to buy wine and walk around the town. 
In addition to the wine shops, the town has 4 pastry shops, two butchers, a cheese shop, a chacuterie (not sure English equivalent), about 10 restaurants, a small grocer, a pharmacy, a hair stylist, a post office  and a few bars.   We have a market on Saturday.   The town also has several  stores for other types of shopping, such as a jewelry store, a book store, a toy store, a store with some clothing items, and a few with a variety of crafted items for sale.  The town does not have a McDonald’s or any other fast food place. (As an aside, I have not been to a McDonald’s since August 25, 2011.)  
The town existed prior to the middle ages.  It has a number of historic sights, including the building in which our school is located, which was built before 1600.  My apartment is in a building that was probably built in the early 1600s.  It is located at the only tower left after all the towers surrounding the town were destroyed when the town lost a battle.
 Just walking around the town is a pleasant experience.   I keep thinking I’ve seen it all and then I take a different route and find a little alley-like street that leads to something new.  As I get to know the town’s people the walks take a little longer as you must stop and chat with those you know. 
You can see gorgeous views of the surrounding country side and the Loire River from many places in town.   You can take little hikes down the hill to bridges, the canal and Loire River.  You can go kayaking in the river.  Mostly I’ve just walked around and taken pictures.  I love all the beautiful flowers.  I can’t envision how the town will change with fall.  I guess I will find out soon.  Fall is clearly coming as the morning s are cool and the vines are turning red. 
Only Remaining Tower (Blue door is Mine)
Like many small towns in the United States, the population is aging as the young move somewhere else as there are not the professional positions that they are seeking here.  But unlike small towns in the U.S., they seem to find ways to survive.  For example, instead of closing churches and combining several churches in one so several communities don’t have one, they just have mass in different villages different Sundays.  An interesting approach!  Sancerre attracts a lot of tourists for day trips, whch helps the economy.  As a resident, I have been known to complain when the town is full of tourists.  And, of course, the vineyards.   I don’t have any definate information but I am sure the school and its students also contribute to the town’s economy.  I looked briefly at the houses/apartments for sale and they are not too cheap so the economy must be doing okay. 
In a future blog, I’ll share more details about specfic items. 


No comments:

Post a Comment