Saturday, September 10, 2011

Two Weeks Completed!


2nd Week Class with Professors
My second week at Coeur de France is finished. I have learned alot, but It has been quite challenging.  I was definitely ready for a weekend,  I wasn't ready to say goodbye to all the adult students who had been with me for the first two weeks.  I know I have only known them for two weeks but we’ve spent so much time together and struggled together that it seems like longer. 

My Refrigerator with Gifts

Although I was sad to see them go, I have a full cupbard and refrigerator as a result.  Everyone seems to buy things they need but can’t use up before they leave.  Since I was staying in Sancerre I have been the beneficiairy.  Some things everyone seems to buy , such as cheese, so I have lots of this. Every person who has left has given me at least a little cheese except a student who doesn't eat cheese so I have cheese of all varieties.    I guess this is what happens in a town with a fromagerie (cheese shop).  Eggs, butter and jam (of course one needs jam, preferably local, for all that wonderful bread).  In addition, I received all kinds of items.  I think the only basics I’ll need to buy for my remaing 4 weeks in Sancerre are milk and eggs.  I have lots of pasta, rice, tomato sauce, etc. 

My Overflowing Cupbard
 Shortly after the last one departed my doorbell rang, which  thought was strange.  It didn’t seem likely that any of the people I knew in town would be visiting me.  Yes, I actually do know people in town.  The cleaning lady was cleaning the upstairs apartment.  I didn’t expect that any of the professors would visit me on Saturday.  Also, It also seemed unlikely that the butcher, the baker, the waiter or waitress from the café or the Saturday market man would visit. 

I headed downstairs to see who it was and found two Jehovah’s Witnesses.  They did not speak English but were able to convey in French what they wanted.  I first tried theI didn’t speak French approach, but they weren’t deterred.  After agreeing in French that God was good, I added  that I was Catholic.  In the states this usually ends the conversation.   After providing me a brochure, which they explained had the verses in simple French with lots of images so I could understand we said good bye.  It was interesting see how similar the approach was in France as in the United States.

I’m off to get ready for the fete (or party) in town.  I’m not sure what this is about except music, dancing and barbeque.  Every one seems to be talking about it.  The street by my house is blocked off with a big tent and music is coming from somewhere so I think I need to go check it out.  I’ll definitely need to take my dictionary because even though I’m getting pretty good with the words, I know there are definitely some things likely to be at a barbeque that I don’t want to eat.



1 comment:

  1. I was only there for two weeks, but after the first week, I also received lots of food from the people that were leaving.

    I can't wait to hear about your adventures at the BBQ!

    Your friends sound really nice, and it's obvious by your smiles in the photos that you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete