Friday, September 16, 2011

When in France Do as the French Do?

I have another one of those experiences to share with you.  Yesterday morning we had our weekly excursion to the market in Saint Satur.  This is a small town (population: 1700) at the foot of the hill Sancerre is on.  It is 1.76 kilometers from Sancerre.  I still have no idea how far that is but I am told it is is about a 45 minute walk.  Of course this walk is not bad going downhill to Saint Satur but I’m told it gets a little long coming back up the hill to Sancerre.  To make it easier for students to shop, the school takes us to the weekly market in Saint Satur on Thursday mornings.

Pouring Fresh Milk for a Customer

In some ways, the Saint Satur market is like a farmer’s market in the U.S.  People are selling fresh fruits and vegetables.   There are also some vendors selling plants.  However, this market also sells meats, seafood, fresh milk, cheeses, etc.  In addition, there are some items that would be at a flea market. This week there were clothes and matresses. 
When I arrived at the market, I recalled a French friend had told me the pate I so enjoyed at her house came from a particular stall at the Saint Satur market.  When I looked, I found  5 – 6 different pates there.  She was there at the same time so I asked her which one she had served me.  She came over and looked at them and pointed to terrine de lapin.  I was shocked and grossed out as I knew “lapin” was rabbit.  When I reacted she and the butcher had a good laugh.  Then I thought oh she was just kidding, but after much questioning (in French) I realized she was serious. 
 
Now I really had a dilemma.  I had planned to buy the pate, which I thorougly enjoyed.  (Truth be told I had 2 – 3 servings.)   I would not have tried it had I been told it was rabbit.  Now knew I liked it so the question was should I refuse to eat it because it was rabbit.  I decided to buy it, but I haven’t yet eaten it.  So I am not  yet sure. 
To paraphrase an old saying, when in Sancerre do as the French do.

1 comment:

  1. GO FOR IT! Eat the rabbit pate, eat lots and lots of it, it's soooo delicious! Braised rabbit, In Italy, is my most favorite dish of all time! Falling off the bone, tender, with a sauce to die for! I grew up on fried rabbit, cooked like fried chicken, as as child in Missouri. I had kangaroo once at Robert's shop there in Sancerre, and it was good too!

    ReplyDelete