Friday, September 30, 2011

Sancerre -- Top Rate Restaurant

Although Sancerre is a very small town, it has several restaurants.  One of them Restaurant  La Tour even has a Michelin star.  One of the students arranged an outing to this restaurant.  As you can see from the outside, it looks like the other buildings in town from the outside.  I didn’t see the rest of my group there when I arrived so using my best French I indicated that I was meeting a group there.  I was directed to a lovely round staircase.
When I reached the top, I entered an entirely different world.  It had the appearance of a fancy restaurant in a major city.  It was spacious and was well lighted from its many and massive windows.  Only the impressive view of the countryside below reminded me that I was still in Sancerre.
All of our group but one chose the complete menu, which consisted of five courses.  For the appetizer (called entrée here), I had some type of foie gras.  After the rabbit experience (see blog entitled “When in France, Do as the French Do”) I feel it is better just to enjoy the food and not ask too many questions.  I enjoyed the foie gras.  The other choice was oysters and the several members of my group that had them found them to be good.   
Next we had a fish course.  Again you had two choices – sea bass or monk fish.  I chose the monk fish because the menu mentioned that it came with potatoes and I love potatoes.  I always love potatoes, but have grown to love them even more here.  The monkfish was tasty and the potatoes delightful.
Our meat course was next.  I chose the lamb because the other choice was pigeon.   Yes, I ate pigeon once since I’ve been here and it was good (see blog entitled Sancerre Street Soiree).   Nonetheless, pigeon does not seem like an elegant meal to me.  Those who chose pigeon were happy with it, but I am happy with my choice of lamb.  It was very good and the vegetables that came with it were delightful.  If I had one complaint about the meal it would be that the lamb was not cooked quite enough for me.  This is one problem that I’ve had here in general.  I can’t figure out the secret of ordering meat correctly.  If I say the equivalent of medium it isn’t done enough, when I ask for it done more it is too done.  I’ve got another three weeks to practice. 
Our fourth course – cheese – was the most fabulous of all.  Our waiter wheeled out a cart, which must have been about three feet by two feet, and it was covered with cheese.  You could choose whatever you wanted.  I couldn’t begin to list the different cheeses on the tray.  I just ordered the same as another woman who seemed to know what she was doing.  I had three cheeses and all were good, but the Roquefort that was incredible.  One member of our group asked the waiter to select for him and he received about seven different cheeses.
Finally, we finished with wonderful desserts.  I think it is impossible to get a bad dessert in this town but this was tremendous. I can’t really describe it except to say it was chocolate.  The other dessert selections were also good.
This restaurant would compare with most I’ve eaten at anywhere in the world in terms of quality of food and wine.  The service was superb.  La Tour proves the old expression, “You get what you pay for.”  Everything is great and the price reflects the quality provided. 
The one thing that La Tour lacks is selection.   As I mentioned for the prix fixe menu you are offered only two choices for each course.  There were slightly more a la carte selections, but even then the selection was limited.  For the meat course, I think you had two additional selections over the prix fixe menu and the additional selections were interesting parts of some animal’s body.  For desserts, I think you had three or four choices.  While the selection is limited compared to a U.S. restaurant, the selections would seem appropriately varied as compared to other French restaurants. 
While the selection is limited, the wine, the quality of food and the superb service make La Tour a must if you visit Sancerre.  And, of course, in my view Sancerre is a must visit if you are in Paris or if you want a relaxing week with great wine and food.


1 comment: